Do I need council approval for my building project?

It depends on what you have done – exterior or structural changes (eg. large decks/pergolas or home extensions) usually require council approval, whereas most internal changes usually don’t (eg. new bathrooms or kitchen renovations). It is always best to check with your local council about the specific requirements.

Can Rivergum Building Services help with the council application?

If you wish we are happy to assist you in the application process. We have established relationships with structural engineers and architects and if required we can organise for your plans to be drawn up.

Once my application at council has been approved and I have chosen to go ahead with the building project, will I need to sign a contract?

Yes, both the customer and the builder have to sign a contract. We currently use contracts provided by the Housing Industry Association. If you chose to make changes to your project throughout the building process a “Variation Document” can be signed to reflect these changes.

What do I have to look for when deciding on a Building Company for my project?

Apart from a competitive price there are a few things you should think about when choosing a builder:

  • How much experience does the builder have?
  • Is the builder licenced and insured?
  • Did I get a written quotation that clearly tells me what is / isn’t included in the price?
  • Will the builder use contracts and variation documents?
  • Can the builder provide me with references from former customers?
We got a few quotes and they are varying a lot in price. What are possible reasons for this?

There are many reasons why builders’ quotes may vary, some of them having to do with the experience of the builder in this area of work or the resources available to them. You should also look closely at what different builders have included in their quote and what materials they plan to use. It will be easiest for you to compare quotes if you provide the builders with a detailed scope of works and make sure that you give all the same details to everyone quoting your project.

How do I know that the work carried out is compliant with current building regulations?

All our work complies with the NCC (National Construction Code). Independent Building Certifiers and Structural Engineers will check that the work carried out meets or exceeds NCC Standards.

How long will the building work take?

This depends on the size of your project. At Rivergum Building Services we understand that building work in your house can be a major disruption to your home life and we strive to minimize the impact of any work carried out as much as we can. We specialize in renovations and extensions and will not take on too many large projects at a time, so that you can be assured that you have our full attention and that your project will progress in a timely manner.